Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Road to KinkFest - 3 Days and Counting

A few miscellaneous updates, and more KinkFest stuff. Whee!

The Bed Update

My back is adjusting nicely to the change between having spent the past three months sleeping in the chair to now sleeping on the ‘new’ bed. Oh, it’s by no means in 100% tip-top shape or anything, but I’d’ve been surprised if it had been. All things considered, though, and like I said – it’s adjusting nicely.

Yeah, my BACK isn’t the problem that I’m having with the bed.

The first night I had it, I took my bucketful of pills (including the pills that pretty much knock me out for the night), laid down, and went to sleep. I woke up a couple of hours later in the midst of a hellacious allergy attack. I couldn’t breathe, my head was filled with snot (and pounding more than usual), and I was covered in hives. Lovely.

The next night I layered extra blankets between me and the bed, and took allergy pills before bedtime.

It was the day after that when my brother called and asked how the new bed was working out for me. I tell him how my back is handling it, and then tell him my allergy story. When I finish, there’s dead silence on the other end. I actually check the display to make sure that one of us didn’t drop the call. So, I ask if he’s still there, and he says, “Shit. I wasn’t even thinking.”

Now, up until this point, I had assumed that I was having a really bad reaction to his cats (whom wander his house unfettered, shedding wherever they please). But my brother informs me otherwise.

“Yeah, uh – that’s not actually our old mattress and box-spring,” he tells me. They’d had such a problem getting their bed up the staircase and into the upstairs bedroom when they first moved in, that when his wife’s parents offered them their old bed, they decided to take only what was easily movable. So, the bed frame, headboard, footboard, and other similar disassemble-able stuff went up the stairs. They kept their old mattress and box-spring. I got my brother’s old bed frame, and his in-law’s old mattress and box-spring.

And the problem with that was that . . . “Yeah, they let their dogs sleep in the bed with them.”

So, I’m now allergic to my bed. I’m told that there’s a special allergen-formula Febreeze, which I’ll be getting myself a bottle of in early April. And living on allergy pills until then. (And possibly even after. Hell, possibly ever after.)

That OTHER March 27th – 29th Convention in Portland

Okay, so, I’m up at the library the other day, and I discover something that nearly short-circuits my hair. All of a sudden I’m just staring blankly into the monitor, mumbling, “There’s a WHAT?! convention in Portland? And I’m finding out about it HOW LONG?! before it happens? And it’s going on fucking WHEN?!”

Yeah, the three days that I’ll be in Portland at KinkFest, the same city is also hosting something called BrickFest, which is a convention for ‘Adult Fans of LEGO’.

Workshops, presentations, special events, building challenges, and so on. Three days of all things LEGO. The last day of the convention doubles as an open-to-the-general-public LEGO Expo.

[There will apparently even be a display of space ships (original designs built by fans as well as reproductions of ships from popular science fiction shows like Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and so on) that have been ‘Reavered-out’ (bloodily modified by the Reavers from the Firefly/Serenity Universe).]

Yes, if I had been given the choice ahead of time, I’m 99% certain that I’d still be attending KinkFest. Hoping to play with wooden paddles and bare asses, duct tape, wrists, and ankles instead of plastic click-together blocks.

But why, oh why, couldn’t they have been on different weekends (and the follow-up questions, why couldn’t I have had enough money to attend them both if they had)?

Year 39 Uberlist – Notice of Delay of Update

Yesterday was March 23rd. Which means that I’m a quarter of the way through year 39 of my life.

That would make this the ideal time to do a post updating my progress through the Year 39 Uberlist. 39 Things to Do in Year 39

But I’m going to hold off on that, for two reasons. One is that I’ve only managed to accomplish two of the things on the list so far (and both of those thing have been accomplished using the absolute bare minimum possible to garner a checkmark), and so an analysis of the list right now would be really, really depressing. The other reason is that KinkFest happens at the end of the week, and I’m really hoping to be able to put some more checkmarks on the list during the event.

So if anyone was actually expecting an update on this about now – you’re going to have to wait a week or so.

I Had a Dream About Being Just a Little Bit Famous

I dreamt that I went to KinkFest, and several people (usually hot female-type people) noticed the name on my convention badge, and said things like, “Oh my God! You’re Zeitgeist the Clown! I love your blog!” They’d then go on to ask for an autograph (usually on a body part), or ask me to pose for a photo with them.

This happened with increasing frequency throughout the course of the event. I had sweet young things tell me that they were attending the convention BECAUSE they knew I’d be there and they wanted to meet me. I had a plethora of offers to play with people, in addition to several offers to retreat to a hotel room for a more intimate sort of ‘play’.

(Of course, my stupid brain actually skipped over dreaming about any actual BDSM scenes or sexual activity, just like it always does.)

I apparently even engaged in some kind of hot tub group sex thing. (I dreamt getting into the hot tub with several women, and then I dreamt getting out and getting dressed after wild sex had occurred. My sex dreams are all edited for television or something.)

It was a nice dream. I liked it. And I think that it’s now my new goal for next year’s KinkFest. To be a weird little rock-star like internet personality that women throw themselves at during a 3-day long BDSM event.

MY KinkFest Schedule

Just in case anyone wants to get a jump on the eventual crowd by seeking me out THIS year before I’m wildly famous (OW! I was sarcastically rolling my eyes, and it made my headache worse. Dagnabbit!), I thought I’d let you know where I’m planning to be at certain times during the event.

Zorch is supposed to drop me off at the hotel somewhere in the neighborhood of 2:30 or 3:00 pm on Friday. (3:00, conveniently enough, being check-in time). That gives me time to find (and finally meet) my roommate for the weekend, get checked in, dump my luggage on the floor, claim a bed, and all the usual stuff.

The registration desk opens at 4:00 (as does the vendor’s area and the dungeon), so the plan is to get my badge and then go see what’s all for sale. I’ll check out what the vendors all have, then go see this year’s dungeon lay-out.

I’ll also need to find the volunteer coordinator, and find out if there’s info that I need prior to my first volunteer shift early on Saturday.

Return to the dungeon: I’ll be on the look-out for someone who might be in search of a play partner. And if I don’t find one, then – assuming that other people will be using the equipment already – I’ll wander around the dungeon watching the various activities.

The dungeon closes for a half hour at 6:30 to prepare for opening ceremonies, which will probably send me through the vendor’s area on my way back to my hotel room. (Sandwich? Quite possibly.)

I’ll return in time for the opening ceremonies, and when they reopen the dungeon for play afterwards, I’ll either play or watch. If nothing exciting is going on, I may ditch the dungeon for a while and go soak in the hot tub. Who knows? The dungeon is open until 1:00, and if I remember correctly, the hotel chases people out of the hot tub at 11:00. So there’ll still be dungeon opportunities post-hot tub, if I choose to snag some hot water time on Friday.

At some point, I’ll return to my hotel room and crash for the night. (Probably earlier than my usual 3:00 or 4:00 am, simply so that I’m up and about long before my usual 11:00 am – 1:00 pm window.)

Once I’ve gotten up on Saturday morning and made myself presentable, I’ll undoubtedly need to locate some form of breakfast. I’ve heard rumors about a concession style breakfast for convention attendees.

I’m serving as workshop monitor for “Fisting and Footing” from 10:00 to 11:30. I’ll probably need to check in somewhere with one of the alpha volunteer monkeys beforehand.

My next shift as workshop monitor is for “THWACK – Understanding Impact Play” from 1:00 to 2:30. Between the first and second workshops, I may be hitting the lunch buffet and checking out the presenter ‘Meet and Greet’. But if I’m extremely lucky, I will have found someone in the first workshop interested in putting what she just learned into practice. I want to go to the dungeon and slowly bury my fingers up to the wrist in a willing fisting partner.

Anyway, after “THWACK” I’m ‘free’ for the rest of the day. I’m sure that I’ll obsessive-compulsively check out the vendor’s area again. Search the dungeon for potential play partners. Tour the dungeon watching the BDSM action. There WILL be hot tub time on Saturday afternoon, I have promised myself this. By myself if need be. With a friendly female if things go well.

The dungeon once again closes at 1:00 am.

Sunday looks like it will start out much the same as Saturday will. I’ll be attending (although not monitoring) a workshop from 10:00 to 11:30 (The Art of Flagellation). Then monitoring “Let Your Beast Out” from 1:00 – 2:30. With probably stops before and between for food. And to check out of the room.

The last workshop of the event is from 3:00 – 4:30 on Sunday, and for me, that will be “Strapping-On and Getting Off”. (The dungeon closes at 4:00, and it’s probably a good thing . . . because otherwise I’d probably try to convince one of the strap-on wielding women at the workshop to have their way with me in the half hour before end-of-event. Unless I can satisfy my curiosity with a strap-on wielding woman earlier in the weekend, that it.)

Zorch should arrive somewhere around 5:00 to play chauffer and take me back home again.

Of course, with the exception of the three workshops I’m monitoring on the volunteer schedule, EVERYTHING is subject to change. I’ve been messaging a handful of people on FetLife that I’m trying to arrange to meet at KinkFest, for conversations if nothing else (although I think that I might be getting the opportunity to do some toe sucking, too).

But if someone wants to set a specific time for meeting, playing, letting me take some naughty photos (away from the dungeon where photography is forbidden), or anything else, well . . . I’ll definitely give priority to that rather than my otherwise scheduled “wandering around”.

Three days left. Yikes.

No comments: